Thursday, April 9, 2020

Series One Scarves 1-8

Series 1 Scarves 1-8


Since January 2019, I have been exploring the design possibilities of my rigid heddle loom. Sounds hifalutin, I know.  But really, it’s simple. Here are the rules. I have a 10” wide rigid heddle loom and a bunch of sock yarn, both full skeins and smaller amounts. Each sock yarn is wound into a 3-yard warp. However many ends I get, that’s it. Some warps have only 5 or 10 ends, others can have more than 100. I can combine different yarns to make a wider scarf, but I must use all the ends. The weft yarn, however, can be anything.

Each warp or combination of warps presents a unique design problem. How to arrange the warp threads? Random? Gradated? Striped? I do enjoy doing the math, figuring out a pattern that fits the number and type of warps. Once the loom is set up, I get to play with weft threads. 3 yards is longer than I need to weave a scarf, so there is plenty of room to experiment. A heavy yarn, maybe? A solid or a pattern? Maybe a fine yarn. And what color? Shall I use a color from the warp, or maybe try a contrasting color? Light or dark? The only way to know for sure is to weave a few inches. Once I find the right weft, I weave to the end, cut it off the loom, wash it, and see what I’ve got.

It’s fascinating to see how the fibers, colors, patterns, and textures interact. Each scarf challenges me and adds to my knowledge and informs the next scarf, gives me ideas for what to try next. As exciting as it is to see the finished project, what I truly love is the process of discovery that brings each scarf into being.

Warp 1.1

 Although I love the colors and the feel of the finished cloth, there were tension problems in the warp. Did not have a long enough mistake-free length to make a scarf, but I will use the good sections for something.

Scarf 1.2

This one was a success! I love how the sky colors came together, very simple and quiet. There was just the right amount of variation in color and tone. And using a strang of KidSilk Haze paired with a very fine wool for the weft made it feather-light and buttery-soft.

Scarf 1.3

I enjoyed this one very much. Using a variegated yarn in warp stripes and a solid color between them made for a bright and lovely combination of early fall colors. Available at lafarrelly.etsy.com.

Scarf 1.4

For this one, I wanted to see what a gradation between a variegated and a solid yarn. I love the effect! Definitely a spring scarf, with flower colors blending into green. Available at lafarrelly.etsy.com

Scarf 1.5

I had 2 colors I really wanted to use together. Smaller stripes worked well, gave it a classic look and showed off the colors without becoming loud. 

Scarf 1.6

Using the narrow stripe idea again, the variegated yarn is the background, undulating just under the surface. This one reminds me of sunflowers! Available at lafarrelly.etsy.com.

Scarf 1.7

A turquoise yarn with black and white flecks serves as a backdrop for narrow variegated stripes in blues and grays.

Scarf 1.8

Pairing a navy solid with a variegated blue, brown, and ivory yarn, the shifting stripes make for a jazzy scarf with colors that go with anything. I did not realize until now that I never got a picture of the finished scarf. 

The next 3 scarves are off the loom, waiting to be wet-finished and hemmed. That's on my list for this week, so it should not be too long before they hit Etsy and the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment