Monday, October 4, 2010
Sometime in July, I lost my mind and decided that the blistering heat would end sooner if I cast on a sweater, so I cast on 3 in 2 weeks. In all fairness one was this vest and one was a baby sweater so I didn't totally lose it.
I finished the Eco Vest from Knitting Green last week. It was a fun knit, even if I did have a scare during the mid-construction blocking. The whole idea of mid-construction blocking is alien to me, but I figured there might be a reason for it so I played along. Anyway, I think the person who entered the measurements into the schematic mixed things up so that a 6-repeat section should be 7.5" across when the gauge specs say 2 repeats should equal 7". It also indicated that the whole piece should be 21" wide. After my initial heart attack I realized that someone put a number in the wrong spot and did the math on my own. I blocked it to 21" across the back, 34.5" wide in total.
The back and part of the fronts are knitted in one piece from the bottom up, then you pick up stitches and knit the fronts/shawl collar in one piece towards the center front. Easy peasy! Both sections have nice, rhythmic stitch patterns that are easy to memorize. This one got knitted in many places, mostly out and about.
With worsted weight and fairly large needles, it looks boxy on the blocking board but nice and curvy on me. I put the button a little higher than pattern says so it looks more like an empire waist. It drapes nicely and I think I'll be wearing it a lot once the weather cools down.