Thursday, October 7, 2010

Sweater Quest

I've had it on hold for a while, and yesterday it finally came in. Sweater Quest by Adrienne Martini kept me up way past my bedtime, and kept me from laundry and dishes this morning. Not that housework gets me all excited, but today at least I had a better excuse than usual. Adrienne has a very companionable writing style. It's like sitting and the kitchen table with her and talking about knitting. The book is about her 1 year process of knitting Alice Starmore's Mary Tudor cardigan. Sometime around 1am I snuck out of bed and got my copy of Tudor Roses so I could see what she was describing. Made me want to cast on right then. A Henry VII for my DH? Elizabeth I for myself or one of the girls? Anne of Cleves, maybe?

But it's not just that. The questions she asks are interesting questions, and the process of answering them is like a mini journey inside of the larger journey. Parenting without losing yourself, copyright, creative control, the process of knitting and learning, dealing with a delightful and sometimes frustrating obsession are all there. I hope the second half is as good as the first half was. At this rate I'll be done by morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment